- Peggy Parish’s grandparents, the Rogers (sound familiar?), had a housemaid that was very literal and useless with housework.
- Peggy never let go of her black purse.
- Her illustrator, Fritz Siebel, was Austrian, so he too misunderstood American idioms. It seems the whole Amelia team understood her troubles.
- When Peggy retired to her hometown of Manning, she became known as the cat lady because every stray cat that turned up in town was taken to her house. After two years, she owned eleven cats.
- There is a statue of Amelia Bedelia with a cat in Manning to keep Peggy’s spirit alive.
What Amelia Bedelia book is your favorite?
Born in the hills of Louisiana and raised in the mountains of Tennessee, Hannah Rials is a seventeen year old aspiring author and editor. She’s been writing short stories since she was a little girl, but for the past several years, she has been writing, editing, and reediting a novel of her own that she hopes to publish in the near future. Hannah will be attending college in the fall 2014 as an English major with the hopes of becoming an editor, but for now, she is enjoying her time at Jump Into a Book as a columnist and intern!