International Book Giving Day is here!
International Book Giving Day is a 100% volunteer initiative aimed at increasing children’s access to and enthusiasm for books.
- Most children in developing countries do not own books.
- In the United Kingdom, one-third of children do not own books.
- In the United States, two-thirds of children living in poverty do not own books.
International Book Giving Day’s focus is on encouraging people worldwide to give a book to a child on February 14th. We invite individuals to 1) give a book to a friend or family member, 2) leave a book in a waiting room for children to read, or 3) donate a gently used book to a local library, hospital or shelter or to an organization that distributes used books to children in need internationally.
What can you do celebrate this unique and wonderful holiday? Here are some ideas:
Seven Simple Ways to Celebrate International Book Giving Day!
4. Do Double Duty: Have a child include books along with their Valentine’s day festivities at school by giving a book with their Valentines Cards.
5. Think Out of the Box When Donating: Donate your books to your local second hand store, library, children’s hospital, or shelter. Another place would be the Books for Africa project. Books for Africa is inviting people to donate directly to: https://www.booksforafrica.org/donate/to-project.html.
6. Write About it and Spread the Word: If you are a blogger, write a post promoting it and add the Book Giving Day badge to your blog. Spread the word!
7. Embellish: Print off some of these adorable bookplates from Book Giving Day artists and spread the word that way.
I decided to add an element of fun with my book giving and created these easey peasey bookmarks to share.
You Will Need:
- Paint sample strips
- Heart punch
- Round paper punch
- Colorful ribbon
Here are some of our wonderful Multicultural Children’s Book Day bloggers celebration sharing their ideas:
Jodie from Growing Book By Book is having a giveaway!
Stanley & Katrina-Pet Authors: Will YOU be Celebrating!
Wrapped in Foil: Loving Libraries and Giving Books on Feb 14
Discovering the World Through My Son’s Eyes: International Book Giving Day in Spanish!
What are YOU doing to celebrate?