**The posts I write might contain affiliate links or be written in collaboration with businesses or brands. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.**
This week is Poem In Your Pocket Day!
On Poem in Your Pocket Day, people throughout the United States select a poem, carry it with them, and share it with others throughout the day. You can also share your poem selection on Twitter by using the hashtag #pocketpoem.
On that day we have a really wonderful project planned here, but to get you thinking about it early, here are 10 things you can do to get ready for the big day.
Poem is Your Pocket Day is simple really. You pick a poem, carry it with you and share it with others.
Below are a list of fun things you can do with poetry and that very special poem in your pocket. Enjoy !!
- Read a book of poetry
- Memorize a poem
- Listen to poetry via books-on-tape or download.
- read a poem before each meal.
- Copy a favorite poem in chalk on the sidewalk.
- Recite a poem to family and friends.
- Organize a poetry reading with your friends.
- Start a commonplace book in your family where everyone can copy in their favorite poems.
- Watch the video “A Child’s Garden of Poetry.”
- Place a poem in an unexpected place.
Poem In My Pocket Resources
ReadWriteThink has some great ideas and resources HERE.
I love Scholastic Books’ idea of Opening a Poetry Cafe to Celebrate Student Writing!
I found this on the Poets.org site. Second graders at Falcon Heights Elementary School in Minnesota made hanging pockets out of cast-off jean pockets. They filled them with poems and delivered them throughout the school. Recipients were invited to fill them with favorite poems of their own and send them back to the students. Love this idea!