**The posts I write might contain affiliate links or be written in collaboration with businesses or brands. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.**
You may remember my mention last week of the upcoming Frances Hodgson Burnett Sesquicentennial Event Celebration. If you read that post you know how excited I am to celebrate an author who has touched my life in so many ways, and also one who is from my home state of Tennessee.
While researching my book A Year in the Secret Garden I discovered that author of the original classic children’s take The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett, lived in the United States from 1865 until she went back for a visit to England in 1872. Another great discovery was that she lived in the town next to our Knoxville and then up in the Jefferson City area of Tennessee.
This year the New Market/Knoxville areas are celebrating 150 years since Frances Hodgson Burnett’s moved to the United States in 1865. On hand will be her great grand-daughter Penny Deupree, as well as her great great grandchildren. Penny Deupree, Frances Hodgson Burnett’s great-grand daughter, is coming from her home in Texas to give three free public presentations and display some of Burnett’s personal belongings.
The new piece of this puzzle is that I will be making many appearances during the month of November in honor of this wonderful event! Below are some places you can meet up with me or join me in experiencing The Year in the Secret Garden like you never have before!
- Tuesday, November 17th 5:30-6:00pm Secret Garden Activities for kids at the New Market School in New Market, TN
- Tuesday, November 17th at 6:00-6:30pm Book Signing of A Year in the Secret Garden at New Market School in New Market, TN
- Thursday, November 19th 10:50 to 11:45am The importance of Extension Activities in Children’s Literature, Carson Newman College in Jefferson City, TN.
- Thursday, November 19th 3:00pm Jefferson City Public Library Homeschool Event Exploring the World of the Secret Garden. Fun and Activities included.
- Thursday, November 19th 5:30-6:00pm Book Activity at the Jefferson City Courthouse
- Thursday, November 19th 6:00-6:30pm Book Signing of A Year in the Secret Garden at the Jefferson City Courthouse
Saturday November 20th Live and Silent Auction. A Year in the Secret Garden Basket, and a chance to bid on a real live Secret Garden Tea Party. New Hope Blount County Children’s Advocacy Center.
This holiday season, give your children the gift that will nurture a lifetime of positive habits; give the gift of a book.
As parents, we want/need quality books with extension activities to help our young ones unplug and create memories. Pulling books from shelves, and stories from pages, is also an important act that will aid in them being life-long readers. Quality books with companion book extension activities are not only work to create special family time, it allows kids to solve the world’s problems without major consequences.
A Year in the Secret Garden is just such a book. This delightful children’s book from authors Valarie Budayr and Marilyn Scott-Waters offers unique and original month-by-month activities that allow readers to delve deeper into the classic children’s tale, The Secret Garden! With over 120 pages, with 150 original color illustrations and 48 activities for your family and friends to enjoy, learn, discover and play with together.
This book will make a great gift and be the catalyst of many hours of family growth, learning and FUN! Grab your copy ASAP and “meet me in the garden!” More details HERE!