**The posts I write might contain affiliate links or be written in collaboration with businesses or brands. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.**
It’s American Chocolate Week!
When I think of Chocolate, I think of Willy Wonka. When I think of Willy Wonka, I think of the children’s classic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Do you remember the first time you read Charlie and The Chocolate Factory as a child?
Do you recall the thrill of discovering that magical gateway into Willy Wonka’s world inside the pages of a book? A world with geese that laid golden eggs, squirrels that could sort nuts, and colorful little people called Oompa Loompas?
Would you like to re-live that experience with one of the greatest children’s books of all time like never before?
Then come along on a magical adventure into The Ultimate Guide to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! I created this book several years ago with the help of the super-talented Roscoe Welply. Together we created an interactive ibook that is a chapter by chapter exploration all of the wonders of Willy Wonka’s World. And give you all the tools you need to play along!
I thought I’d get you started inside the wonderful pages of this interactive guide with our Willy Wonka Chocolate River Chocolate-Covered Pretzels as a taste of what’s in this ibook.
- 24 pretzel rods
- 12 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- An assortment of your favorite sprinkles
- 1 tbsp. shortening
- waxed paper
- Non-metal spatula or spoon
- Double boiler, or a pot and a non-reactive heat-proof bowl.
Step 1: Tempering Chocolate
Set a long piece of waxed paper on your work surface. (if it slides too much, place a damp paper towel or dish towel beneath it.)
Place the chocolate chips and the shortening in a double boiler or in a non-reactive bowl set on top of a pot containing an inch or so of simmering water. It’s very important to make sure the double boiler insert or bowl does not touch the water. Stir the chips and shortening until completely melted and well blended.
Note: Some people may prefer to melt chocolate in a microwave but it is much more difficult to evenly control the heat. Remember, tempering is about heating chocolate very slowly. In a microwave, the chocolate may get too hot in spots and turn into a big clump of unmanageable goo. If you decide to use a microwave, stir the chocolate every 20 seconds or so to more evenly distribute the heat.
Step 2: Dipping the Pretzels
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. If you don’t have a cookie sheet, just place a sheet of waxed paper on your work surface.
- Take a pretzel rod and hold it by one end.
- Starting at the top of the chocolate River, roll the pretzel down toward the bottom. Repeat until the pretzel rod is well-coated.
- Place the coated pretzel on the waxed paper to cool.
- Continue with the remaining pretzel rods.
- shake your favorite sprinkles all over them quickly before they dry or they won’t stick.
**This book is not affiliated or associated with the author, publisher, or distributors of Roald Dahl’s book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
More About The Enhanced Digital E-book The Ultimate Guide to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
Chapter by chapter we explore the world of Willy Wonka. Charlie is a 185 page step-by-step guide with over 20 activities and crafts that lets readers really delve into the story of Charlie and the Chocolate factory in many fun and innovative ways. Charlie was #1 on iTunes 31 times in 2012 and 2013!
What We Encountered Along The Way
- We won our own golden tickets by sheer wit.
- We entered into the jungle to learn how chocolate and gum were made and even got to make some of our very own.
- We met Oompa Loompas and even had a wardrobe exchange. We’ve never truly been right since then as they have very short legs.
- We learned the true secrets of gobstoppers. We’d tell you but our mouths are full.
- Willy Wonka’s factory is a masterwork of mazes. We had to utilize our skill at them to work our way through this enchanting chocolate factory, including but not limited to the ever famous scissor maze where we walked clean through a piece of paper. Of course we haven’t kept that info to ourselves but have happily shared it with all of you.
- After all that we were truly thirsty and so very glad to discover that fizzy lifting drinks are real. Not only that but we came away with many new recipes for you to try as well as the science behind them so you can make up your very own fizzy concoctions. The best part is the burping of course.
- Square candies looking round aren’t just for the Chocolate Factory but they can look round your very own home or classroom too.
- One of our more hilarious encounters happened to be made in the Nut Room where a bunch of very ingenious squirrels taught us a very fun snatching game. We still play it all the time. No special occasion needed.
All of these adventures we’ve taken together and now you can too. Although The Ultimate Guide to Charlie is a beautifully illustrated PDF, the entertainment comes from doing the crafts, recipes, and games once the book is shut. It’s good old fun -21st century style. We loved creating a balance between the virtual world and the actual world. Magic comes from our inspirations and imagination. The Ultimate Guide to Charlie will lend itself to hours of fun again and again.
Now go eat some chocolate 🙂