**The posts I write might contain affiliate links or be written in collaboration with businesses or brands. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.**
My kids are long past the age of needing bedtime stories (our youngest just graduated from High School!) but on occasion I like to look back on our bookshelves and remember the titles that helped my brood drift off to sleepy-land. And when I do, it never ceases to amaze me how it was the classic books that were the most loved. Here are some of our past favorites.
Tried-n-True Classic Bedtime Storybooks
First I would like to start with some of our favorite bed time chapter books.
- The Mousewife by Rumer Godden
- The House Above the Trees by Ethel Cook Eliot
- The Wind Boy by Ethel Cook Eliot
- The Inventions of Hugo Cabret (Great pictures which hold the attention of young listeners)
- Mary Poppins by Dr. P.L. Travers
- Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne
- Stuart Little by E.b. White
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B.White
- The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
We absolutely love the books by Edward Eager
The next genre of books that I really love are those that might be classified as “Picture” books but they are oh so much more because not only do they have great pictures but wonderful stories as well.
- When Dinosaurs came with Everything by Elise Broach
- Thimbleberry Stories by Cynthia Rylant
- Pickle-Chiffon Pie by Jolly Roger Bradfield
- Princess Hyacinth;The Surprising Tale of a Girl who Floated by Florence Parry Heide
- The Story of Ferdinand by Muro Leaf
- The Bremen Town musicians by Jacob Grim
- Grandfather Twilight by Barbara Helen
- Swan Lake by Lisbeth Zwerger
When my oldest child became an early reader she loved to have her turn reading as well. From our bookshelves she picked a few of my “I Can Read” books. The very ones I loved as a child. Though we love many of them as “favorites”, here are the top of the list picks.
- Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel
- Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik & Marice Sendak (we love all of these books)
- Hats for Sale By Esphyr Slobodkina
I hope you enjoy some of our favorite bedtime reads and feel free to share some of your family’s favorites in the comments below.
**Some of these links are affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may get a very small commission.
This money goes towards postage and supplies to keep books and ideas in the hands of young readers!
Valarie Budayr is the founder of Audrey Press and author of the books, Dragon Are Real! A Year in the Secret Garden, The Fox Diaries: The Year the Foxes Came to our Garden and The Ultimate Guide To Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. She is passionate about making kid’s books come alive and when she isn’t jumping into a book and creating wildly inventive adventures, she is “mom” to three uber creative children, married to a wonderfully patient man who has come to love yarn, proud owner of one adored cat, and the Fox Whisperer to lots and lots of Foxes (that come and go as they please). You can also find Valarie on Facebook or on Twitter at @JumpIntoaBook1.